Sunday 24 June 2012

Chicken Gyoza with Spicy Noodle Broth

Don't you love British weather?! June, and because the weather is so crap, I don't know what I want to eat half the time; stews and soups just seem wrong but then so does salad! I love Asian food and on my travels partook in a few cookery courses. So on a cloudy and blustery Friday I decided a bowl of noodle soup what what I needed. Noodle soup is great. It's healthy, spicy and comforting. However I wanted to do something different then the obligatory poached meat/fish so I had a nosy round the Chinese supermarket. Spotting some gyoza wrappers I decided to have a go and I have to say, they were pretty tasty!


What you need:

Gyozas (this left loads of left over mixture which I just froze)


2 chicken breasts
1 can of bamboo shoots
thumb size piece of garlic
1 clove of garlic
handful of coriander stalks
1 chilli
splash of fish and soy sauce
1 pack of gyozawrappers


Broth

1 litre of chicken stock
piece of ginger peeled and cut into strips
1 kaffir lime leaf
1 lime
A pinch of sugar
1 finely sliced garlic clove
1 handful of stir fry veg
1 pack of Udon noodles


Method

  • Firstly make the filling for the gyoza. Mince the chicken in a food processor (or by hand). Don't do it too finely as the texture will be like mush when cooked, not nice!
  • Next blend the rest of the ingredients and then mix them with the chicken.
  • Make the gyozas by placing a spoonful of the filling in a gyoza wrapper and put water along the edge of the wrapper by fingers. Make a semicircle, gathering the front side of the wrapper and sealing the top. (I watched a video on Youtube to help with the technique, there are loads so just choose the one you like!)
Check out the crimping!

  • Place the gyozas on a baking tray and place in the freezer for up to an hour.
  • Then start on the broth. Simply heat up the stock with the ginger, garlic, lime leaf and chilli. Season it with soy and fish sauce, a squeeze of lime and a pinch of sugar; the longer you simmer the stock the nicer it will be!
  • When your broth tastes gooood and smells great chuck in the veg and noodles. 
  • As I have a steamer that fits over my wok steamed my gyoza over the broth at this point. A few minutes later and dinner was ready! 
Ready to be steamed

Noodley goodness!





No comments:

Post a Comment